Sunday, March 13, 2011

Sean Huze Blog

Jamie Parker
March 13, 2011
Cline, Laura
ENG 102
Sandstorm Response
Sandstorm, as a whole, was simply OK to me. The play format already started the story out with a negative feeling, so my biased hate for reading plays did not help (reading plays reminds me of acting out parts of Shakespeare in high school classes). Another downer was that the profanity of the play made me feel as though the author ran out of creative adjectives—or simply didn’t want to try using any. Cussing was one of the things my grandfather said was a lesson learned in war, but (after being critiqued in writing my entire life) I expect something more unique in a piece of writing.
The lack of emotion (besides the last scene) was very hard to relate to. The story’s graphic details, swearing, and straight forwardness, were realistic but distant. A perfect example was with the soldier who tripped over a foot and started wandering around all dazed. It would have been cool to somehow include some details that were less raw to include people who hadn’t been to war before. Other than just relating to the story I also wanted to be able to relate to, and understand, what the soldiers were going through thinking back to my family members who have served in the military.
Overall it was realistic which was good, and was another resource to try and understand war with. Having different characters had potential to be entertaining, but wound up annoying, leaving me a lot of time to try and figure out who was talking. It was difficult to stay focused, making the reading last much longer than it should, due to the play style format. I did not hate the play, it was just very frustrating for me to get into and read.
For the image:


Website for Sean Huze:
http://www.seanhuze.com/stageplays/the-sand-storm

No comments:

Post a Comment