Sunday, February 20, 2011

I posted a power point to blackboard but here's the info. from it.

Jamie Parker


I had a hard time putting this book down because of all of the times O’Brien repeatedly says things like “This is totally true.”
O’Brien’s style of writing made me sink into the story and feel like Sanders lied right to me when he admitted to O’Brien that he fibbed a little.

I liked the story and enjoyed the going back and forth between truth and what you think the truth is.
The details were impressive but not over-kill. I got a good picture of what was going on and wasn’t distracted or bored.

1. Most war stories can be looked at as a love story (as O’Brien wanted this one to be). I agree with the idea that a man jumping on a grenade for his friends is truly a love story.
2. The truth in a story is only what you take in, and believe to be true. The truth is also skewed by the trauma around you—especially in war.

This story made me think of my grandfather, who I respect a great deal. I imagined what it was like for him to be in war, and it made me think back to the times he would tell me war stories. My grandfather rarely told war stories, but when he did, I always listened intently. Now this story has me thinking that the stories, that were truth to my grandfather, became truth to me because I took them in.

http://www.audiobooksonline.com/media/The-Things-They-Carried-Tim-Obrien-unabridged-compact-discs-Recorded-Books.jpg

1 comment: